Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hurricanes Are Like Libraries!

Shortly after Hurricane Ike made landfall on September 14, 2008 on the Gulf Coast, it left destruction in its path. Hurricane Ike destroyed almost the entire town of Crystal Beach, Texas, just nearly wiping it clean off the map. Only a few beachhouses were left standing but most likely damaged. My parents lost one of those beachhouses that day. It was a sad day for me because many of my childhood summers were spent there.

I am not sure why I was thinking about this today, but I think that libraries today are somehow related to hurricanes. Many changes are occurring in our libraries and could leave destruction in its path if change doesn't occur. Just after hurricanes, so many changes occur but soon after rebuilding always takes place. Libraries must accept that changes sometimes can make things better. The difference before and after is how well we help those in need whether it be after a hurricane or locating information in a library. I hope this makes sense to all of you! Who knows? Just my thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment